Saturday, March 22, 2014

Cute Hoots with McCall's Quick Quilts

Cute Hoots Designed by Heidi Pridemore
We have quilt in the April/ May issue of McCall's Quick Quilts. I love these sweet owls that are all admiring the girl owl in the center. You know the one with the flower, (thats how you can tell). So here is a quick story of how I came up with this design.

For this project  I was given the fabric and asked to come up with an owl design that had some applique but too not to many templates. The templates also had to fit within the magazine without having to enlarge them. So I designed one owl with templates would fit the magazine page and then played around with the pieces to create different poses for the owls. Then to make the center owl stand out I flipped the colors and added a flower. Once "she" was created, I realized the outer owls could be her admirers hooting at her.

Once I had the owls figured out, I started playing around with the pieced block. I needed to bring some other colors into the center of the quilt to help balance the colors in the outer border. I love using "X" blocks for square quilts to offset the main blocks, so this block was the winner for me. For the borders I made the side inner borders brown to make them look like trees on sides of the quilt and then made the top and bottom borders green to represent grass and leaves. I added corner stones to the outer border to add interest and to be honest to avoid having to do mitered corners.

I hope you like our Cute Hoots. We have a limited number of fabric kits for this one if you would like to have some hoots for your home!


Until next time......

Heidi








No comments:

Post a Comment