Saturday, June 20, 2020

Essential Notions for Your Quilting/Sewing Area

Hi there from The Whimsical Workshop! 


Now that you've set up your sewing area for quilting, let's take a closer look at some of my favorite notions to keep handy. These aren't mandatory to have by any means, but they will definitely help make your projects easier and hopefully more fun. If you're interested in adding any of these to your own sewing station, I'll link them all down below. 
 

To get started, my first recommendation is for the Binding Ruler. There are multiple videos on our YouTube channel that cover how to use this ruler if you're curious, so be sure to check those out (and give us a follow while you're there!). I keep this ruler next to my machine with a small cutting mat and rotary cutter so that I'm able to finish the tails on my bindings as I go. In my opinion, this is the best way to finish your binding.


Next up, I also love having my Cutting Gizmo within arm's reach. It's designed to help with chain piecing, and has a straight edge, recessed blade (safety first!) so that you can quickly and efficiently separate your pieces as you go. Make sure to watch our notions video on YouTube here where I give a quick demonstration. 

 

I like to keep a Zippy Ripper on hand as well. This tool is relatively small and only has 5 teeth, but can help you undo seams quickly and efficiently. If you're anxious about ripping through your fabric, please be sure to watch our notions video on YouTube here where I give a quick demonstration. This video also covers the scissors I have in my sewing area, the stackable bobbin storage rings I use, my sewing machine cleaning tools and more. 


Finally, I like to keep a Purple Thang for guiding things through my machine and poking out corners, and an industrial magnetic pin holder for keeping my pins together.

 

Next week I'll be covering how to get a perfect 1/4" seam, so be sure to come back and keep following along!



Shop The Whimsical Workshop Notions and More



No comments:

Post a Comment