Saturday, August 15, 2020

Let's Get Organized - Tips for Your Sewing Room

Getting and staying organized in the studio can feel like a full time job some days. You want everything to have its place, but also be easily accessible at any moment and not get in the way. We all know how fast our sewing room space can turn from organized to pure chaos while working on a project. And who wants to take a break from all the fun creating just to clean up?

In our studio, it's imperative that the cutting table be clean before starting a new project since these are paid projects with tight deadlines. We treat the set up and clean up of a project as part of the project itself. Everything has to be finished and put away properly before moving on to something new. So, we thought we'd have Heidi come and share some of her best tips on how to stay organized in a new video series. These videos can be found on our YouTube channel, in a special playlist so you can watch them all the way through. Be sure to subscribe and get notified whenever we upload a new video.

To kick off this series, I was so excited to share a tour of our studio with you. This video covers how I set things up in the studio to make things easy to reach.  I feel very fortunate to have this space to work in, as my last studio was 10’ x 10’. I can tell you from experience that the smaller the space, the more organized you will need to be.   

Next in the series is a group of videos on how I recommend storing quilting supplies,  including rulers, pre-cuts, small notions and tools. If you are anything like me, you'll collect notions and tools for each project and then before you know it, you're swimming in extra tools.
The best piece of advice I can offer is to properly organize and store the tools you use infrequently. For tools that you reach for on a daily basis, it's more convenient to keep them out (and organized). What a great excuse to buy some colorful and fun containers for your room!





 Now we wouldn't be quilters if we didn't have a constantly growing stash of fabric. In these videos, I go over how to store fabric, quilting projects and UFO’s (unfinished Objects). I share my tips on how to sort through UFO’s and stay organized when you have more than one project going at a time. Because let's be real, who only does one project at a time?


Now that I've shared how I store my projects, I wanted to give you guys a video on how to stay organized when you start cutting a new project.

I always recommend cutting and labeling a project as if you are going to give it to someone else. If you put the project up for several months and then come back to finish it, you basically are someone else at this point and now you have to figure out what the old you did in the past. If you stay organized and label everything while cutting, it's so much easier to sort it all out at a later date.

Finally I want to share with you my general tips and tricks as a wrap out to our "Let's Get Organized" series


We hope you'll check out our entire series on Youtube and share these videos with your friends. And if you have any tips on staying organized, please share them with us! If you're someone who prefers to work in a less organized way, I hope you at least found this entertaining. You all never fail to impress and we're so glad you're part of our community. Happy Organizing!


No comments:

Post a Comment