Saturday, November 21, 2020

Let it Snowfall

 


                 Snowfall
                49” x 49”
    Designed and made by Heidi Pridemore


Can you believe that we’re already less than a month away from Christmas? The holiday season always seems to go by so quickly. For many, it will soon start to snow and turn their towns into magical, real-life snow globes. However, I live in the desert so if I want a white Christmas, I have to make the snowflakes all by myself! Why don’t you grab your favorite Christmas themed fabric and join me?


I will recommend using the 7” Snowflake die and half-square triangle die from Accuquilt for this project to help it come together in a snap. These tools make it so easy, you could make enough for your friends and family as well! But if you don’t want have, or want to use, Accuquilt dies, I did write a version of this pattern with traditional cutting instructions. Both versions are available here. 


This version of Snowflakes was made using an older collection from Henry Glass Fabric, Woodland Retreat, but it’s such a simple and classic pattern that it’s really a great way to use up leftover fabric in your stash or to show off your favorite new fabric additions to your collection.



One thing that’s great about this project is you don’t need a ton of different fabrics and prints. It looks great with a relatively simple color palette. In fact, I only used four fabrics for mine! The background blocks are made up of half-square triangles, with the snowflakes appliquéd on top. 



To begin with cutting the snowflakes, I added fusible web to the wrong side of my cream squares, by cutting it into squares 1/8” smaller than the fabric and pressing it to the back of the fabric per the manufacturer’s instructions. 



Then I used the 7” Snowflake die to die-cut the snowflakes. Part of what I love about the die is that I’m able to lay out all of the snowflakes and it’ll cut through five squares at once, even through flannel fabric. 



To die-cut the half-square triangle units, I layered up the green and red fabric, right sides together. I stacked up 3 sets of squares (6 layers) on the die and ran them through the cutter. And just like that, they’re layered and ready to sew! 



For assembly, let’s start by sewing together the triangles for the HSTs. Press the fabrics to the dark side and lay out 4 half-square triangle units for each block. Sew the units together to make a black and press the seams open. This helps keep the block flat for when we add the snowflakes later on. 



Once all of your HST blocks are assembled, press a snowflake into the center of each one and finish the raw edges with a decorative stitch in a matching thread. I also used a blanket stitch to finish the edges. Check out the video below on how to do this.




To assemble the quilt top, line up all of your blocks. I used the same cream fabric as the snowflakes to create an inner border as it contrasts really nicely with the dark background in my opinion. Then I finished the quilt with a nice, Christmas themed outer border! 




I hope you enjoyed making this quilt with us and wishing you a very snowy Christmas! If there are other holiday projects you'd like to see us make, be sure to send us an email at Heidi@thewhimsicalworkshop.com and connect with us on Social Media to let us know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment