Friday, May 1, 2020

Best Cutting Tools and Tips for Fabric and Quilting PART II


Rotary Cutting Basics for Quilting-PART II

Hi! It's Heidi from the Whimsical Workshop, here to discuss some rotary cutting basics with you!

Have you ever asked yourself “how do I cut fabric accurately?”. The answer is practice, and using the correct tools. 

With quilting specifically, those tools include a sharp rotary cutter, an acrylic ruler and a self-healing cutting mat.  

If you have questions about which rotary cutter to get or how to keep them maintained, there are videos on our YouTube page here which cover everything you could ever want to know about them. 

For now, let's take a closer look at acrylic rulers and self healing cutting mats:


Acrylic Rulers -

There are so many sizes of quilting rulers out there, that as a beginner it can definitely be overwhelming to figure out which ones you need versus which are just nice to have. 

As a self-proclaimed ruler junkie it's hard to narrow it down to only a handful of ruler sizes that I think every quilter should have. But over the past few weeks I've taken a closer look at which rulers I find myself reaching for most often in my studio. This helped me create a list of the three sizes I think will be most helpful for you. 

The first ruler size I recommend for every quilter, is a 24" long ruler. They come in different widths, with 6-1/2" being the most common. However a few years ago I purchased an 8-1/2" x 24" ruler from Creative Grids and it has become a workhorse ruler in our studio.   

A 24" ruler makes quilting fabric in just two layers so much easier. Quilting fabric measures 42" wide and ships to stores folded and rolled on a bolt. When we ultimately purchase quilting fabric in a store, it's sold to us folded and about 21" long. A 24" ruler therefore works perfectly to cut the fabric without having to fold it a second time.

The next ruler size I'd recommend is a larger square ruler, such as a 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" or 16-1/2" x 16 1/2". These are perfect to help square up blocks before sewing them into a quilt top. They also work great to cut larger pieces of fabric.

The final size ruler that I believe every quilter needs is a 6-1/2" x 6-1/2" square ruler. This size is perfect to square up smaller blocks or pieces. I often use this size to cut smaller squares and triangles. 

I have uploaded a video to YouTube talking more about these ruler sizes as well as my favorite brands and some great tips on cutting fabric accurately. Make sure to check it out here, 
"Top Three acrylic ruler sizes that are perfect for quilting"




Cutting Mats -
The last essential tool I'd recommend for easy cutting is a well-made cutting mat. When it comes time to buy a cutting mat, you'll need to know which size is best for you as well as which brands are the best for rotary cutting for quilting.

The most popular cutting mat for quilters measures 18" x 24" and works best with the 24" ruler we discussed above. Most quilters need this size when starting out. 

If you are lucky enough to have a cutting table just for quilting I would recommend buying a mat that will cover the whole table. It's amazing just how much of your table surface you'll use if the entire top is covered and protected.

It's important to note that not all cutting mats are created equal. A bad cutting mat will make it harder to cut fabrics and will wear out your blade faster. In my 20 years of quilting, I have experienced my fair share of both good and bad cutting mats. I have covered my favorite brands and sizes in our video "How to pick the best cutting mat for quilting", available now on YouTube. 

I have included links for my favorite rulers and cutting mats below.

Now that you have the right tools for cutting, I want to share a few quick tips with you on cutting accurately. You can also follow along with our "Basic Tips on Cutting" video on YouTube. 

Basic Cutting Tips - 

Align the selvedge edges on each piece before cutting to keep your strips straight.

Always press the fabric first to get rid of any wrinkles.

Make sure the your Rotary Blade is sharp. This will help with accuracy and makes the task easier.







Here are the links to products we discussed above:

Rotary Cutters




Rulers





Cutting Mat Links





We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.









No comments:

Post a Comment